Friday, October 21, 2011

Annoying Sales Calls

Am I the only one who has noticed an increase in so called 'information' and 'survey' phone calls?

Tired of being pestered by sales calls I signed up to the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) which companies based in the UK are supposed to check their phone number database against so they don't call numbers which are subscribed to the service.

Trouble is, companies are getting wise to this. 

Some are employing call centres outside the UK which are not subject to the same rules - this is complying with the letter of the law so to speak but certainly not the spirit.

The other way round that is increasing is by claiming it is not a sales call, merely a survey to determine opinions or an information call.  These types of call are not apparently restricted under TPS as a shirty call centre agent told me last night.

In reality however, they are sales calls.  For example, I had one purporting to ask me about my views on personal and home security.  Before partaking in the call I pressed the agent and they did admit that as most people would admit to being concerned about say being burgled, the call would then go on to how they, an alarm company, could help you.  Even after I advised the agent that I had an alarm with which I was very satisfied they still tried to sell me  their product, claiming a number of ways in which it was better than what I already had (in their opinion).

Last night the call was on the subject of mis-sold Payment Protection Insurance on loans and credit cards - purportedly an information call but what these people do not seem to realise is that we are wise to it.  If it was purely an information call and they would earn nothing from it, then why would they run up phone bills and pay agents wages - I cannot see these companies being truly altruistic.

Despite saying that I had not had PPI (white lie but no worse than theirs) and that I was not interested in the service or 'information' they persisted.  Doesn't that sound like they have sales targets to achieve?

I think in future I should follow the approach demonstrated in this YouTube video - it may not terminate the call any quicker but you may feel better.  Substitute No for Yes if you wish!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33BCEPMGggU&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment