Friday, November 25, 2011

The lunatics have taken over the asylum

The world is getting weirder by the day - I am beginning to wonder when listening to the news or reading the paper (any paper) whether everyday is now April the 1st.

Two recent news items only serve to help in this perception.

The first is a government minister who claims that despite continually rising energy prices, fed in part by taxes for renewable energy, our bills will be smaller in 2020.  Who are they kidding?

This year alone most energy suppliers have had a series of price hikes, with the latest round being in the range of 10 to 20 percent.  The minister supported the claim by suggesting our use of energy will fall more than enough to compensate for the increased unit costs.

Personally I cannot see how I can save 10 percent of my present energy use.  I already have a well insulated home, switch electrical equipment off when not in use, have low energy light bulbs and even switch those off.

A wind turbine on the roof will be pointless and will likely never recoup it's purchase and installation costs, likewise the calculations I have done (and had from Solar Energy suppliers) indicate that that too will always run at a loss.

We need to see a return on our renewables tax in the form of cheaper, more effective renewable energy supplies otherwise there really is no point.

The second news item is even more unbelievable - the Isle of Wight is to become a self sufficient island and eco friendly.

This will be achieved by installing an army of wind turbines, acres of solar panels, geothermal energy plants.  To supplement this there will be recycling on a massive scale, fleets of electric cars and doubtless houses will be insulated to the point where the inside space shrinks to nothing!

I have just looked at their brochure - it talks of plans for the period 2008 to 2010, so we should already have the EcoIsland we are promised, but somehow I doubt it.

If I were to visit the island again (having not been for over 15 years now) I suspect I would not notice any of the eco improvements - perhaps someone can prove me wrong.  I believe that even the wind turbine factory has closed down, so any turbines would have to be manufactured elsewhere and imported with all the associated carbon footprint.

No comments:

Post a Comment