Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Cyclist Peril

What is it with cyclists?

Don't get me wrong, cycling can be a great way of getting around and is less polluting (though watch your increased CO2 emissions when peddling hard compared with resting!) and good exercise to boot.

Many cyclists are well behaved and follow the rules of the road, but their image is tarnished by others of their number.

My problem is with the cyclists who think they are above the law and also in many cases common sense.

In this area we have a reasonable number of cycle paths, totally separate from the road but parallel to it and within a few feet.  The odd exception occurs at roundabouts as there is sometimes only one way round but all exits are served by the cycle lane.  Why then do the cyclists insist on riding on the road and more to the point why do they get angry with motorists?  If there was no cycle lane then of course they are entitled to use the road, but where the local council has gone to the trouble of providing one then it should be used.

There is also the issue of cyclists and their disregard for traffic lights.  I thought that a red traffic light had something to do with stopping but not all cyclists seem to follow this rule.  Whilst motorists are still responsible for driving carefully, they will find this more difficult if they have to dodge the cyclists running red lights, and for what - a few seconds gained on their journey?  We have cyclists running red lights, dodging through pedestrian only areas and running the risks of collisions by cycling on pavements which have no cycle lane.  And how many times have you seen a cyclist cut up the nearside of a line of traffic only to curse when one of the vehicles turns left (and quite probably indicating that intention!)

Recently I was out walking along a path which is for both pedestrians and cyclists and whilst not laned off is certainly wide enough.  The problem there is with cyclists approaching from behind at high speed and without giving any warning (using the bell that many now see as optional despite the law) or thanking you if you move over to let a group of cyclists through.  Surely common good manners will resolve this.

Whilst I am on the subject of bikes not legally equipped, there is also the issue of lighting.  If out at night a cyclist is vulnerable, so why do so many either dress in dark clothes with no high-vis components, not have lights on, or both.  Proper clothing and lighting would make the roads much safer for all.  And by lighting I don't mean just those flashing LED lights - I believe a steady light should be shown front and rear, possibly supplemented by flashing lights to make them stand out but not solely relying on them.  Surely modern LED technology should allow a good bright light with decent battery life.

Finally there is the issue of accountability and insurance.  First of all there is no easy way of tracking a bike involved in an accident if it leaves the scene (we have had cases reported in the papers of people being knocked down and injured by cyclists who then ride off) and secondly they have no insurance that specifically covers cycling (some may have it on household policies or through cycle clubs) so if damage is caused, say to a vehicle, there is typically little redress for the third party.  Remember these are people who may have had no training, and if not drivers may never even have read the highway code.

I am not against cyclists, I even have a bike myself which I use from time to time.  I did my cycling proficiency many years ago and have forgotten most of it but I am also a driver so have an understanding of the rules of the road.  I choose not to cycle at night as I don't think it is safe even with lights and high-vis but that is a personal choice.  Similarly I opt for cycle lanes wherever possible even where, as with some of the lanes round here, there may be a slightly shorter road route without lanes.

Let us all try an make the roads safer whether we be cyclists or motorists.

2 comments:

  1. I've got to agree with the cyclists at red lights issue.
    I recently pulled up at a red light behind a cyclist (wearing all the gear) who was in the centre of the lane. He then proceeded to pull out slowly across a dual carriageway against the red light. Madness, worst of it was as we pulled past him, after the light had turned green, I noticed that not only did I know him but he's just recovered from a broken collar bone inflicted at .... a cycle race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you will find that it is illegal to carry two rear lights on a bike. So given the option of an illegal flashing rear light or a legal non-flashing light I go for the former. Sorry. It makes me feel safer.

    ReplyDelete