Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Rip Off Britain

There was an article in the paper yesterday about a survey, by the Post Office, on how costs of various items we would buy abroad on holiday have risen.

In this instance the cost in 2007 was compared with the cost now and indeed prices have risen.

What is not included in the survey results shown however is the price rise in the same items for the same period in the UK and indeed how these prices compare with the prices abroad.

I believe that if this were to be done then we would see a totally different picture which would suggest our best bet is to holiday abroad.  For example I enjoy Spain as a holiday destination - Coffee at £1.13 a cup and £1.89 for a beer - oh how I wish I could get these prices on a holiday in the UK.  And as for a meal for two at £23.58, well even if I go to the local pizza restaurant and take advantage of their offers I am doing well to get this price!

They also selectively show the countries to make a point.  Many countries will be much cheaper than this.

Finally, I got riled the last time this type of comparison was done.  The example then quoted was headlined by a ticket for the Eiffel Tower.  I compared this with Blackpool Tower and found Paris to be about 10% cheaper and for a much better experience, having visited both Paris and Blackpool!

Why do we holiday in this country?  I will check this years holiday cost very carefully before deciding where to book next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment